Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Long Time Dream Comes True


From the time Mike was 18 right through until his late 30's he loved skiing. Many of his holidays from Ford were to places such as Mount Tremblant; Smuggler's Notch; Madonna Mountain; Stowe and Killington just to name a few. His dream however was always to ski Whistler. And even though he lived in BC for a year; and came out on many visits, it just never seemed to happen.

When we went up the Peak 2 Peak on Saturday, I was quite content just to look around; and take in the views, watch the skiers, etc. I thought that Mike was too, but once up there, he was itchin to have a pair of skis on.

On Tuesday, his dream finally came true!!! We headed up to Whistler on Tuesday morning; and arrived there with lots of time to get outfitted with boots, skis, and poles and get his half day ticket. Since he hadn't skied in over 20 years, I suggested that maybe a half day would be plenty.

Back to the truck we went, so he could get dressed and then off to the lifts. The beam on his face as he came down the first time back to me was the biggest I've ever seen on Mike's face! Reminded me of the Visa commercials...$38.84 for half day ski equipment rental, $64.45 for half day lift ticket, the smile on his face PLUS fulfilling a long time dream... priceless. It was a great day for Mike, and I'm glad to have shared it with him.

I decided to pass on the skiing, as I haven't skied since the winter of 1985, and with my bad knees, I was quite content to wander around the stroll, people watch and souvenir shop.

When I met Mike back at the base shortly after 4; he looked tired, but happy. When I asked him how it was, the answer was "I'm pooped, but WOW, it was totally worth it!" Best skiing he's ever done, and his last run down started at the top of 7th Heaven and non-stop to the bottom. He managed to get 8 or 9 runs in and also got to take the Peak 2 Peak again. And trust me, the half day ticket was more than enough! :))

Figured he would be a little sore the next day, so off to the recreation centre for a steam room and hot tub we went; for "just in case". And it felt wonderful - and I wasn't even skiing!

Take a look at Mike in "action"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay...so I was waiting in the last blog for the big news...worth the confusion....way to go Mike!!!! gotta sieze the moments when you can and it sounds like you siezed a mountain...congrat's....equally good for you Maureen...watching can be just as thrilling and like you said...the smile and wow-factor priceless...so glad you took advantage of the opportunity Mike. Acorn nuts

Al Bossence said...

How exciting. ! Congratulations Mike... it's never too late..

Kelly

Al Bossence said...

Hey, you guys are having too much fun out there:)) AL.

Jenn said...

Carpe Diem! Way to go Mike!
It looks like you had an amazing day. We should all take the time to cross off as many bucket list items as we can. The things we didn't get to do are what we will regret most in the end.

I love reading about your adventures! Keep the blogging!

Jenn