Monday, June 2, 2008

Camp Verde, Arizona

We left Page, Arizona, early December and started to make our way to Sedona. Well that was the plan anyway.

The drive from Page to Flagstaff was fairly uneventful, except for the beauty surrounding us. But from Flagstaff to Sedona, it was a bit of a challenge. The reason we couldn't bring our rig into Zion was that we were over the 50 foot maximum, but just. The highway that we wanted to take from Flagstaff to Sedona had a 50 foot maximum also, but we decided to risk it.

The road was curvy, twisty, tight; and all of my driving skills were put to the test. But since I had already done the north rim of the Black Canyon and the hogs back; I figured I would do okay. So off we went. Some of the hairpin switchbacks were a bit of a challenge; but I took my time. I'm sure that the train of cars I had behind me were wishing that I wasn't ahead of them; but I do pull over whenever I can to let people pass.

Sedona is a pretty little town. All the houses and business have a real "southwest" feel to them; and the views surrounding the town are beautiful. The park that we planned on staying in was outrageously priced; so we continued on to Camp Verde. About an hour south.

We found some really nice scenic drives to take - what a surprise - and also played a bit of poker while there. The rv resort was fairly new; and very well put together.

We then left Camp Verde and headed towards Mesa. Took a secondary highway and this is where we saw our first saguaro cactus. We were again on a twisty, curvy highway; when Mike saw a saguaro. I was in a really long curve and couldn't take my eyes off the road. When we came out of the curve, there were hundreds, maybe even thousands of saguaros! They were everywhere! And this was just the start of them.

They come in a variety of shapes, and sizes. Tall ones, short ones, skinny, fat, one armed; multi armed, it was pretty cool.

We also took a nice drive into a place called Jerome. Very small, quaint village. Glad that we only had the truck with us; as the roads were very narrow. There was a pizza "bordello"; but it was closed.

Take a look at the pictures that we've posted.

No comments: